Wednesday 10 September 2008

PRINCE2 Foundation & Practitioner Course – Day 3

Any signs of deviation beyond tolerance levels must be escalated


08:30 – like yesterday, we start with a review of last night’s homework. There’s a notable air of rising tension in the room, as we all await the real test this afternoon.

09:30 – We go through Controlling a Stage and Managing Product Delivery, and then there’s a quality bit. No, really, I mean a QUALITY bit (not that the rest was rubbish), looking at the Quality Review process.

10:30 – after coffee (and a Twix finger this time), it’s on to Change Control. This culminates in a genuine team exercise, with the people on my team being completely unable to decide whether the scenario issues are problems, change requests or off-specifications.

The pace picks up. We are rattling through the remainder of the syllabus, covering Managing Stage Boundaries, Exception Reports and Plans, and how to deal with deviation (most harshly, I would have thought - can't have these deviants carrying on with their filthy practices). Just before lunch, we finalise things (appropriately enough) with the Closing a Project process. Strangely missing is the essential sub-process which I remember vividly at the end of one banking project I ran back in 1999 – take all the contractors into a room one by one, give them a black bin liner for their stuff, and tell them to f*ck off.

12:30 – lunch was a slightly varied buffet today, but still excellent. Jam doughnuts for desert.

13:00 – post-lunch, there’s an overall review, process by process, while gallows humour predominates among the delegates.

14:00 – the exam. We have to clear our desks, and then we get a question paper and an answer matrix. It’s standard multiple choice stuff – you have to make an “X” in the chosen box. To my mind, the biggest challenge looks like ensuring your answering stays in sync with the question sequence – miss one, and you get everything wrong thereafter. What is really surprising is that it’s all done on paper – I would have thought an online version would be so much simpler and quicker to administer.

As I start, I find myself gripped by a growing sense of horror. The two test papers I had rattled through on Monday and Tuesday evening, and managed a comfortable score without trying very hard, as the answers simply jumped out at me. But this, the real exam, is much, much harder – the questions are full of ambiguity and convoluted logic. On my first pass through, I leave at least a dozen unanswered.

I managed my first pass though in about 30 minutes, more than twice as long as the mock papers had taken me. I then spend a good further 15 minutes puzzling over the skipped ones, before making a final check that my numbering sequence is correct. That’ll do. It’ll have to.

Outside, the delegates collect like condemned men.

16:00 - we are called back – and, incredibly, we have all passed (even the student – who really seemed like he’d lost the plot). Even more incredibly, we are given our scores, and I have come in only 1% less than I managed in the mock papers.

Six of our merry crew leave forever – they were just doing the Foundation course, which makes little sense to me.

The rest of us get a Practitioner course booklet – exam guidelines and sample questions. We have some to do tonight.

4 comments:

Prince2 said...

Nice post. keep posting more useful stuff about prince2.

Thanks.

prince2 training said...

Everyone always says that the real exam is much harder than the sample exams. Perhaps that's just typical exam nerves!

Prince2 Training said...


Thanks for sharing this useful post. If you are someone in a position to deal with or supervise technicalities, or perhaps you head your own organization certification could be a great boost to your credentials.

prince2 agile foundation course
prince2 training
prince2 certification
prince2 agile training in india

Anonymous said...

It is the basic level of certification. It is the first of the two PRINCE2® qualifications that are required to successfully become a Registered PRINCE2® Practitioner.